Saturday, October 6, 2007

Trust at the parlour

Ross: How's Monica?
Phoebe: She's calmed down a bit. I put a clip on one side, which seems to have stopped the curling.

Ross: How's the hair?
Phoebe: I'm not gonna lie to you Ross. It doesn't look good.

Joey: Can we see her?

Phoebe: No, your hair looks too good. I think it would only upset her.

Rachel: Oh.

Phoebe: Ross, you can go on in.

This stuff happens! I actually cried at a beauty parlour this month because the lady there cut my hair a little too short on one side. The fact is that the beauty parlour business is one of the most trust-demanding businesses; it deals with looks which, frankly, most people care about; even if it is only to carry the carefree look.

The irony here is that the trust issue is hardly addressed by any parlours, if at all. Yes, they have expert beauticians, quality products and a chic ambience. But every parlour worth its lotion does that; with international brands opening up parlour chains in India, and luxury, pampering and expert advice on hair & skin care becoming qualifying criteria for a good chain, trust could well win the race for a chain.

If I were to go to a parlour, I would want to be attended to by the same person every time because she knows my style and knows the kind of hair I want and what suits me best and so on. I would like it if there were a history maintained about me at the parlour and someone would ask me after my haircut when I would want the next trimming and call me when it is due asking if they could make an appointment for me. Also, I could call my personal beautician asking her some hair tip or skin tip if I wanted any sometime. That will differentiate a parlour from the others for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. The beauty saloon business is certainly seeing a lot of changes; but trust remains at the the core of it. This reflects in an article I read recently as well- excerpt follows

Instead of the loud large mass salon we are seeing more and more small one and two person operations. If you saw Jerry Maguire you remember the motto of less is more and spend more time with people instead of more people in your time. Well that is becoming more and more prevalent now that people are asking more of their stylist.