Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Bangalore it is!

Over the last week, I have been giving some serious thought to starting up as soon as I pass out. It was a fallout of a brilliant idea I had based around the food & entertainment industry. As I spent time refining this plan and thinking up other potential ideas, I felt handicapped because I am in Lucknow. I found myself wishing I was in Bangalore, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Delhi or Chennai in that order.

But Bangalore most of all. I cannot think of starting up at any other place.

  1. I understand Bangalore best as I have spent a significant part of my life there.
  2. I understand the lifestyle a software engineer from Bangalore seeks since I have been one.
  3. Bangalore is unique in the sense that it is both intellectually fertile and laid-back at the same time; you will hear snippets of discussions on philosophy, ideas, music, just about everything, and yet they will be in the relaxed atmosphere of coffee shops; much unlike Mumbai.
  4. Bangalore is very receptive to trying new experiences
  5. There is a lot of disposable income in Bangalore
  6. A lot of Bangaloreans are open to discussing ideas and creating new things
  7. Bangalore is a small city geographically; so people are more attuned to developments all around Bangalore and tend to visit shops and restaurants in most commercial areas.
  8. A significant proportion of Bangalore’s population has spent some time in a foreign country and hence it is a early adopters market
  9. A lot of the population is just-out-of-college software engineers from small towns and large who seek avenues to spend their paychecks.

More important than the fact that you can make a lot of money in Bangalore is that it’s the place where ideas are born; are taken to fruition. Any other place would be a compromise.

1 comment:

Karthikeyan (KK) said...

Am just thinking aloud here...

But isn't the space already crowded ?

Tons of restaurants , new coffee places ( Brewhaha )...

Am thinking Chennai might be a great place to start - I can see most of Blore's features apply to Chennai as well and importantly, there is space for a new restautant / coffee place idea.

( Full disclosure - i was looking to start a restaurant as well. But ended up doing a market analysis start-up, currently )